Thursday, July 2, 2009

Take me out to the ball game


What's this? Two posts in the same week?! Le gasp!

Have you ever noticed that when someone mentions a ball game or a ball park, they are only ever talking about baseball? Weird no? Why is that when there are all kinds of sports that use a ball. Like football, or basketball, or... futbol...

(These borders are real for seven months a year. From opening day to the World Series. The majority of people of each country pledge their allegiance to the team shown regardless of placement in the standings, questionable trades, draft picks, pitching rotations, uniform redesigns, or mascot behavior; and these lines will stay true until the citizens of each country vote to redraw the borders for next season.)

Anyway, I love the Fourth of July. It's like the ultimate American holiday. Not only is there that whole freedom thing (which I admit I kind of love a lot despite the jazzy line I throw out), but you can celebrate with a veritable cornucopia of summer related all-American activites that are best enjoyed on this day of all days.

Backyard Barbecues
Basically the best way to have dinner. With some it's steak and asparagus, others fried chicken and potato salad, some have hamburgers and chips, or fish and baby reds. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. The most important element to the backyard barbecue, other than the neighborhood dog, seems to be that someone's crazy uncle is always invited. We don't know who he is, or why he is there, but somehow he always manages to show up.
(see also: garden party, clam bake, fish fry, pool party, picnic)

Hammocks
There's that part of the day when the sun is hot, and everyone gets quiet and still. The best thing to do then? Get a glass of pink lemonade and a good book and swing in a hammock. Whether you read it or just take a nap is optional, but it needs to be there just in case. Because is there anything more American than taking a nap?


Driving in a Pick-up
You've had a long day. What better way to end it than sitting in the middle of a pick up blasting country music on your way to the park to watch fireworks? Granted I think I have a better show just sitting on my lawn than anything else I've ever seen--the benefits of your town being next to an indian reservation.

Alternate activites--For those who want to be slightly less generic: Croquet, camping, fishing, eating, horseback riding, and watching baseball games can all be fun... and I'm hard pressed to really think of anything else that is an acceptable alternative

So enjoy the day off of delight and goodness... and... eat apple pie?


1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that we did have a b-b-q planned, but then Robert and Lilly got sick and for some reason (I am still trying to figure out why) I decided to start potting training Josh. So I don't really think we are going to be doing much of anything. We are going to try and weed the garden.

    ReplyDelete