Monday, June 6, 2011

Spring Break-Up

Funny Story... thought I posted this three weeks ago... whoops.

Lately, when it comes to blogging I have been somewhat less than inspired.  In fact, until my mother reminded me about it the other day, I had a little bit forgotten that my blog even existed.

Apologies.

For those who are unfamiliar, in Alaska the part of the year when its warm enough that things are melting, but cold enough to still be covered in dirty snow is known as spring break-up.  It is pretty universally agreed on as Alaska's least favorite time of the year.  But it didn't stop me from enjoying Alaska.  I a little bit love this place.  Except for the Winter deciduous trees (Which I have never been a fan of) it's actually quite lovely all year.  Even in the heart of winter.

Contrary to popular belief, there is still sunlight in Winter.  Yes, it rises at 11am and sets around 3:30pm... but there is still light.  I think all the whiners are just melodramatizing the whole situation.  And coming from the queen of melodrama, that is quite the accusation.

Besides, Winter in Alaska let me see things like the hoar frost (which I didn't know existed until I saw it.  I love learning new things about the weather), the Iditarod (which has been years in coming), and the northern lights (which are suprisingly un-photogenic).

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to stay for another winter.  Honestly, I really didn't mind the cold and dark--it was the lack of a social life that got to me.  After partying with people every night, hanging out with your last friend once a week is a significant change in lifestyle.  I plan to re-evaluate come November.

In an ironic twist of fate, I have a new responsibility with my church.  Basically, I do exactly what I do for my friends, for everyone.  Which involves a lot of delegating, planning, texting back and forth, spreading the word, and execution of flawlessly exiting activities.  But I found out this last week I'm in charge of a regional activity in July to which anyone in the state of Alaska ages 18-30 can attend.  Holy yikes.

But my friends are back, and people here think I'm awesome.  So thank you Alaska, and here's to another great summer.

2 comments:

  1. Stay!!! Or I won't have my last friend to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I'm so glad you posted!! Exciting calling news-I'm glad it's you and not me, but I wish I could come to your activity and help. And you saw the Northern Lights!? I think it's time for an email update!

    ReplyDelete